Why spend money on store-bought tonic water when you can have fun at home.
Recipe of Making Tonic water at Home
- Step 1: Combine ingredients Put all of the ingredients except the sugar in the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Step 2: Simmer Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- TIP: Spice to your taste with allspice berries, salt, coriander, orange peel, bitters, and lemons or limes.
- Step 3: Strain Remove the mixture from the heat and strain out all the solids with a fine strainer.
- Step 4: Repeat straining Strain the mixture again, this time through a coffee filter.
- Step 5: Add sugar Put the strained mixture back into the pan, bring it to a simmer, and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Step 6: Refrigerate Pour the syrup into a bottle or container that can be tightly sealed and refrigerate.
- Step 7: Add syrup and serve Add syrup to soda water to taste. Serve over ice, or use in cocktails.
- FACT: Cinchona bark contains quinine, which for centuries was the most common anti-malarial remedy in the world.
You Will Need
- 4 c. water
- 3 tbsp. cinchona
- 6 tbsp. citric acid
- 3 limes
- 3 stalks of chopped lemongrass
- 3 c. sugar
- A bottle or container
- Soda water
- Large saucepan
- Mixing spoon
- Coffee filter
- Allspice berries (optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Coriander (optional)
- Orange peel (optional)
- Bitters (optional)
- Lemons or limes (optional)